Students! Here is your chance to join a good cause, have fun, and win prizes!
As part of the Piedmont Master Gardeners event THE FUTURE OF OUR LANDSCAPES IN A CHANGING ENVIRONMENT, we are holding an Art Poster Contest on Climate Awareness with the theme of:
Let’s Make A Difference!!
Open to students in Charlottesville City, Albemarle County, and homeschoolers grades 5-8 and 9-12 with cash prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each group.
How To Participate:
- Choose an environmental topic, for example: clean air, clean water, being water-wise, fire-wise, environmentally sustainable activities (like recycling and landscaping), reducing food deserts, food ecosystems, pesticide management, wildlife habitat conservation, renewable energy, etc.
- Create an art poster on that topic. What do you most want to protect and what solutions can individuals or small groups do to reduce the impact of climate change on our local community?
- Include a completed PMG Paramount Poster Entry Form 2019 attached to the back of the poster.
• Any media may be used (paint, crayon, colored pencil, charcoal, stickers, paper, or other materials). Poster size: Either 11” x 17” or 24″ x 36″, made of cardboard or mounted on cardboard/poster board. (Students may include prose or poetry.)
• Up to three students may collaborate to create a poster.
• Each poster must include the main theme (“Let’s Make A Difference!”), present the environmental topic chosen, and describe ways to reduce the impact of climate change. Use science-based information.
• Either hand-drawn or digital posters are eligible. Posters created solely by students are encouraged and will score higher.
• Members of student organizations (Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Boys and Girls Clubs, etc.) are encouraged to apply.
• Posters will be judged based on the climate change message, visual effectiveness, originality, and quality of presentation. (See back of entry form for more details.)
- A PMG Paramount Poster Entry Form 2019, completed and signed by a parent or guardian, must be submitted via email by Friday, Aug. 30, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contestants can drop off their posters, at Virginia Cooperative Extension office (2nd floor, entrance at back of building), Tues., Sept. 2 thru Fri., Sept. 6, 8 am to 5 pm,) OR at Albemarle County Office Building, 5th St Ext (lobby, front of building) Fri., Sept. 6, 3pm to 7 pm.
- Posters will be displayed at the event; at least one student per poster may be present to answer questions on their poster from 3 to 4 pm that day.
- Important: Attach a copy of the completed PMG Paramount Poster Entry Form 2019 to the back of your poster.