Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
Thanksgiving is just around the corner. No doubt you are anticipating the autumnal holiday offerings from your youth. Depending upon where you grew up, the menu may vary somewhat, especially where the stuffing is concerned— from oyster or chestnut or cornbread to the basic bread stuffing.
Most of you are probably conjuring up images of turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cornbread, and perhaps a healthy green or two. And then, there’s dessert. Pies rule the day–apple, pecan, and pumpkin. For my mother, nothing reigned more supreme than a pumpkin chiffon pie, lighter than its more common and rather heavy alternative. The following recipe is one that never weighs your guests down after the gluttonous indulgence of a true American Thanksgiving meal.
Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
Yield: 6-8 Servings
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon flour
¾ cup canned or fresh puree pumpkin
2 eggs, separated
1/3 cup cream
1 envelope (1 Tbl.) plain gelatin
1/3 cup milk
¼ cup orange juice
½ teaspoon grated orange rind
2 Tablespoons sugar
Baked 8” pie shell
- Combine dry ingredients. Add a little pumpkin and blend to a smooth paste.
- Add this mixture to the rest of the pumpkin in top of a double boiler. Mix well.
- Add yolks to cream. Beat. Add to pumpkin mixture and cook over hot water for 10 minutes. Stir.
- Soften gelatin in hot milk and add to mixture.
- Add orange juice and rind and cool.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, gradually add sugar, and beat until smooth and thick. Fold into pumpkin mixture.
- Pour into prepared piecrust and chill for at least one hour.
- Top with whipped cream.
- Bake your favorite crust or rely on the pre-baked variety.
- Use a graham cracker or ginger snap crust. It’s easy. Simply crush the cookies and add melted butter, patting into the pan.
- For added sweetness, add a thin bottom layer of the following mixture to the pre-baked piecrust:
Combine 1/3 cup butter with 1/3 cup sugar. Bring to simmer until bubbly (frothy) and add ½ cup chopped pecans. Spread in bottom of prepared crust and bake at 425º for 3-5 minutes.