Strawberry Beverages: A Delicious Way to Stay Hydrated This Summer
Did you know? Strawberries are not fruits at all. These runner plants of the genus Fragaria are actually in the Rosaceae family. The seeds of the berries appear on the outside hulls, each one averaging 200 seeds, and do not produce more plants.
Local, fresh strawberries are dotting the farmers’ markets all across Virginia. Eat them right off the vine, bake them into a pie, make strawberry shortcake, top them with whipped cream, bring out the ice cream churn, or use them in an endless variety of drinks. The web is full of suggestions. I have chosen three to share with you here because I think all three work well with fresh (as opposed to frozen) berries. Strawberry-Basil Lemonade is light and refreshing and not overly sweet. We’ve probably all made fruit smoothies, but I had never made one with grapefruit. The addition of this acidic fruit gives the smoothie a tartness, counteracted by sweet apple and ginger. Delicious! The final drink, goes down smoothly for the adults on the porch–cold, refreshing, and quietly intoxicating. No need to wonder how you will use all those berries your grandchildren picked; turn your kitchen into a strawberry factory, enjoying each of these offerings.
FRESH STRAWBERRIES YIELD REFRESHING DRINKS WHEN COMBINED WITH
LEMONS, LIMES, GRAPEFRUIT, APPLES, SUGAR, AND PERHAPS A LITTLE RUM!
Compliments of Whatsgabycooking.com
- 10 lemons, juiced (about 1 cup of fresh lemon juice)
- ¾ cup super fine sugar
- 4 cups water
- 8-10 strawberries, tops removed
- 1/3 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup gin or vodka (optional)
- Juice the lemons and transfer the juice into a large pitcher.
- Add the sugar and the water and stir to combine and dissolve the sugar.
- Add the strawberries and basil.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture for about 20 seconds just until the mixture turns pink and the basil is finely chopped.
- Add alcohol if desired. Serve over crushed ice and enjoy!
Compliments of marthastewart.com
- 1 grapefruit, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 cups hulled fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 sweet apple (Honeycrisp or Pink Lady), cored and chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
Combine ingredients, plus 1 cup water, in a blender and process until smooth. If desired, add yogurt and/or honey.
Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri
Compliments of thekitchn.com
- 1 cup white rum
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- Ice cubes, as needed (see Recipe Note)
- In a blender combine the rum, strawberries, fresh-squeezed lime juice, and 1 cup ice.
- Pulse to evenly blend, then divide between glasses.
Depending upon how thick you want your frozen daiquiri, you can add as much or as little ice as desired. Start with 1 cup; then if you prefer it a little more slushy, add more ice, a half cup at a time, and pulse to blend to your desired consistency.